Friday, August 13- Anchorage to Juneau; Embarcation

 My flight to Juneau took off close to the scheduled time at 11 AM and about an hour later we landed.  On a clear day the view alone is worth it- anything you read about in a geology book on glaciers is here.

Cirques, horns, hanging glaciers- they're all there!

The face of a glacier


Two glaciers join together partway down a mountain


I met with the UnCruise staff member sent to meet a number of us and he immediately checked my paperwork showing a negative COVID test within the last 4 days and proof of vaccination.  This is the only way I’d travel right now.  We were taken to downtown Juneau to wait till we could board the ship.  After lunch I looked at the upcoming weather report and decided I needed rain pants- an easy errand in a town that caters to cruise ship passengers, but first I had to pass about a dozen jewelry stores with some of the most garish pieces I’d ever seen- and I like jewelry.  I found what I was looking for in a locally-owned shop and also bought some jewelry made by natives in a craft shop.  

An important reminder.

I went back to the UnCruise Office before my credit cards could jump out of my wallet again.

 

Our ship, the Wilderness Adventurer


We boarded the ship, got settled in our rooms and met for Happy Hour.  Let the over-indulging begin.


My room.  Nothing fancy, all the necessities.


The rules.


Glacier seen from the fore deck.  


Another view from the fore deck.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saturday, August 14- First Whale Sightings

Sunday, August 15: Two Hikes

Thursday, August 12- Kansas City to Anchorage